For immediate release
North Bay, Ontario, Sept. 13, 2017 — Following the success of last year’s Constituency Youth Council, Anthony Rota, Member of Parliament for Nipissing–Timiskaming, is pleased to announce that the application period is now open for the 2017-2018 term.
“I want to hear from young people in Nipissing-Timiskaming and work with them to make our community – and our country – a better place,” said MP Rota.
The purpose of this council is to give participants an opportunity to engage in an open dialogue. Meetings will be held about every two to three months. (See FAQs for more details.)
"I want to hear from young people"Anthony RotaMP (Nipissing-Timiskaming)
This opportunity is ideal if you:
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in your school or community;
- Have an interest in governmental work and local issues;
- Are willing to work as part of a team;
- Enjoy making a difference; and
- Show enthusiasm, maturity, initiative, dependability, flexibility, integrity and a willingness to learn.
Applications are being accepted until Saturday, Sept. 30, and those who are selected will be contacted within a month.
So apply now and share your voice on the issues that matter most to you.
Frequently asked questions:
Who can apply?
Anyone aged 15-24 who lives in Nipissing-Timiskaming or goes to school here. We’re looking for youth with varied interests, experiences and takes on the world.
How do you apply?
Fill out the application form here or contact one of our constituency offices (in North Bay, call 705-474-3700; in Temiskaming Shores, 705-647-6262).
How much time is involved?
About two to five hours per month. The council will conduct its work from October through June 2018.
What does the council do?
Members will share their ideas, opinions and concerns on a variety of topics with each other and with their MP. The notes from these discussions will be reported back to government to help inform decision-making.
Why should you apply?
- You get face-to-face time with your MP, and your ideas are shared to help shape choices on policies and the direction of government.
- Your time may count as volunteer experience. Check with your school counsellor before starting to see how they would like you to track your hours.
- You will receive a certificate of participation that you can include in applications for work, educational studies or other purposes.