You’ve booked the trip, started your packing list and pulled out the luggage. Now it’s time to make sure your travel documentation is in order.
Did you know our constituency offices offer a courtesy passport service, starting with all the necessary forms? Our friendly and knowledgeable staff can answer any questions you may have. We will review your paperwork and supporting documents and mail everything off. And with your signed consent, we are also authorized to contact Passport Canada on your behalf.
Last year, we processed close to 2,200 applications.
Below are answers to some of the most common questions we hear.
- How far in advance can I renew my passport? Up to 12 months before the expiry date. (But no credit is given for any time remaining on your current passport.)
- What form do I need? In general, if you already have an adult passport and it has been expired for less than a year, a simplified renewal application. Otherwise, a general passport application.
- My passport is about to expire. Can I still travel? Entry and exit requirement vary from country to country. Some only require your passport to be valid for the duration of your stay. For others, it may be as long as six months beyond the date of expected departure. It’s best to check with your airline or travel agent.
- Can my child travel under my passport? No. All Canadian children require their own passport.
- I am travelling alone with my child. What do I need to know? It’s strongly recommended you obtain a consent letter, which states the child has permission from the parent not accompanying him/her. Forms are available in our office.
- Can you help me get my passport faster? No but we can explain your options for expedited services.
- How long does it usually take? The standard processing time is 20 business days. This is for applications Passport Canada receives by mail and doesn’t include time for postal delivery.
- But my departure date is sooner. Now what? There are several options for urgent and express processing available in person through a passport office. Call us or stop in and we’ll give you all the details.
- How much does a passport cost? The fee is $120 for a five-year adult passport and $160 for a 10- year one. A child passport is $57. Additional fees apply for urgent or express services.
- Do you accept payment? No but we can explain your options.
For more information, go to travel.gc.ca